There has been a lot of attention paid to solar panels and solar energy during the past few years. Thanks to a tremendous amount of research and development, solar energy is more affordable than ever before; however, the question still remains: is the installation of solar panels on your home worth it? It is important to look at the solar energy pros and cons in order to answer this question.
The Pros of Installing Solar Panels for Solar Energy On Your Home
The pros of solar energy include:
- You can reduce your electric bill
- Solar energy provides you with insurance against rising power prices
- Solar is cheaper than it ever has been in the past
- You will see a return on your investment
- Solar panels are an environmentally-friendly way to provide you with energy independence
The Cons of Installing Solar Panels for Solar Energy On Your Home
The cons of solar energy include:
- You have to pay a high upfront cost
- Solar energy can be an intermittent energy source
- While solar panels help the environment, the manufacturing process is not environmentally-friendly
- You need to have enough space for solar energy
- If you are planning to move soon, you might not see the complete benefits in time
The Advantages of Switching to Solar Energy
Taking a closer look at the advantages of going solar:
- Reduce Your Electric Bill: When you install solar panels on your home, you can produce your own electricity. This means that you won’t draw as much power from the grid, reducing your electric bill. Some homeowners might be able to achieve complete energy independence.
- Insurance Against Rising Electric Costs: Electricity gets more expensive every year. When you produce your own energy, you won’t have to worry about your electric bill going up. This means that rising electric costs are an issue of the past. You can even sell your excess energy back to the electric company!
- Solar Energy Is Cheaper Than Before: Thanks to major investments in solar energy research and development, solar energy is cheaper now than it ever was in the past. Thanks to lower manufacturing costs along with the Solar Incentive Tax Credit, you can install solar panels on your home and enjoy major rebates on the cost.
- The ROI: The vast majority of homeowners will see their solar panel systems pay for themselves in around seven or eight years; however, in states with additional local incentives, your system might pay for itself in as few as four years. Some states even have solar renewable energy credits (SRECs), which allow you to earn money by feeding your excess energy back to the power grid.
- Environmentally Friendly: Finally, solar energy is environmentally friendly. It is a renewable energy source that comes from the sun. This means that you can use the sun’s rays without depleting them. This allows you to reduce your carbon footprint and protect the environment from harm. Of course, solar energy is not a greenhouse gas, meaning that you won’t harm the environment.
The Disadvantages of Going Solar
Some of the disadvantages of going solar include:
- Intermittent Energy: You can only generate power when the sun is shining. This means that your solar panels won’t generate power if it is cloudy, raining, or nighttime.
- Solar Panel Manufacturing: The process of making solar panels is not necessarily an environmentally-friendly process. On the other hand, the damage from this process is minimal when compared to the mining and burning of fossil fuels.
- Solar Panels Take Space: Solar panels aren’t small. They require a fair amount of roof space to install. While most homeowners have more than enough roof space, homeowners still need to plan accordingly for the presence of solar panels.
- A Delayed Return on Investment: It will take a few years for you to see the financial benefits of solar panels. So, if you are planning to move soon, you might want to wait and place them on your new home.
Installing Solar Panels On Your Home Is Worth it
Clearly, there are far more benefits than disadvantages of installing solar panels on your home. Installing solar panels on your home is a great way to not only save money but protect the environment as well.
If you have further questions about a solar installation on your home or business or how you can save money with solar, the best thing you can do is explore your solar power options with a qualified professional. Contact HomePro Solutions today. We have the technical know-how and customer service expertise necessary to ensure that every solar power project is a success.